7.01.2009

Robert Englund and Kane Hodder Welcome You to Fear Clinic




The men behind Freddy and Jason talk about their new horror project.

July 1, 2009 - The stars from three of the biggest horror franchises of all time are joining forces for FEARnet's upcoming horror webseries Fear Clinic. While they have both had cameo performances in the same films (or each other's films), Fear Clinic will mark the first major collaboration between Robert Englund and Kane Hodder – who are instantly familiar to horror fans for their work as A Nightmare on Elm Street's Freddy and Friday the 13th's Jason, respectively. Joining them is Danielle Harris, whose work in four different Halloween films, from both the original and current incarnations of the franchise, has made her a very popular actress among horror fans.

I had the chance to visit the set of Fear Clinic last week, which was filming in an appropriately creepy, old hospital that is used for many, many productions – in fact, all three stars revealed they'd filmed there before when I spoke to them. Englund plays Dr. Andover, a decidedly unorthodox expert on curing phobias – whose methods include putting his patients in the terrifying fear chamber, where they must face their fears head on. Assisting Andover are a fearsome orderly, played by Hodder, and Nurse Oviatt, played by another familiar face to horror fans – Lisa Wilcox, who played Alice in two Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

- FEARnet
Kane Hodder and Robert Englund in Fear Clinic
As Englund put it, "Kane Hodder, myself and Lisa Wilcox are sort of this unholy trinity. We have some taint on us. Perhaps I've had my license revoked. Perhaps Lisa and I have a rather unsavory relationship behind closed doors. Kane probably owes me. We're imagining there's a backstory where Kane was a prison psych ward convict and I got to his parole board and got him released. I have this technique, this controversial technique for curing phobias, but it is controversial and now I've wound up in this industrial park south of the border in Juarez. It's the classic ingredients of a horror movie. They're sending us these beautiful young teenagers."

Despite the hell Andover puts his patients through, Englund notes, "I have a very successful cure rate." However, in the case of Danielle Harris' Susan, "I'm obsessed with curing her, perhaps to a little bit of a Doctor Frankenstein level. I'm really upset I can't fix her. And she's rebelling more and more against that and senses my obsession." Englund describes Fear Clinic as, "A dark Twilight Zone, wrapped up in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Girl, Interrupted. That kind of neurotic thing."

- FEARnet
Danielle Harris in Fear Clinic
Describing Susan, Harris said, "I'm sort of the resident patient, from childhood. My parents are gone and I think Dr. Andover and I have this sort of love/hate relationship. In my mind, he's become the father that you love to hate. He's trying to take care of me and teach me and help me, but at the same time, keeping me under a careful watch and not letting me really escape to sort of do this stuff on my own. So we have a very interesting dynamic. And I'm sort of the superior of all the kids. They don't really know what they're getting themselves into."

Fear Clinic will be comprised of five webisodes, each running five to seven minutes or so. Hodder said he was having a "fantastic" time making the webseries, remarking, "It's a little under the gun. You have limited time, so you have to really be on your scenes, so you don't take too long to get through them. Fortunately the cast is really good, so time is not wasted. A lot of it, to me, feels like a feature – just a quickly done feature." Said Harris, "It's fast and furious, just like film, but it's not as grueling. Maybe because I haven't had to do as much grueling stuff yet!"




MovieMiguel.com







Wireless messaging lets you receive special text messages about Movie Miguel directly on your cell phone! We will let you know about The Movie Miguel Show, Dj Movie Miguel, TV appearances, events, special announcements, and other information that you just can't live without. You can unsubscribe at any time. To sign up, just enter your cellphone number and hit submit! Standard text message rates apply.

blog comments powered by Disqus