Includes dramatic fixes and improvements to Gears of War 2 multiplayer.
May 19, 2010Yesterday on the Epic Forums Rod Fergusson, the Executive Producer of Gears of War 3 made a post about an incoming Gears of War 2 Update. It's called Title Update 6 and will modify many areas of the online multiplayer including:
Social Xbox LIVE
- Adds a public multiplayer match option called Social Xbox LIVE (player matches) open to anyone who owns all downloadable maps (All Fronts Collection).
- Join Social Matches in progress and quit any time without penalty. Early quitters don't receive earned experience from that match.
- Social Matches auto-cycle to the next map without matchmaking
- Teams are rebalanced between matches based on XP level without splitting parties.
- If you quit your spot is taken by a bot until new players joins the match. Players can join while a match is in progress.
- If you join a match in progress you are assigned a team based on XP and party size.
- If you join a match in progress you replace a bot at the earliest opportunity: at the first bot's death for respawning game types (Annex) and at round completion for Warzone, Execution, and Wingman
- Social leaderboards become part of the War Journal.
Ranked Xbox Live Matches
- Public Matches are now called Ranked Xbox LIVE Matches to differentiate these from Social Xbox LIVE Matches.
- Improved host selection using bandwidth testing and previous hosting data.
- Before the match begins teams are balanced based on XP without splitting parties.
Custom Xbox Live Matches
- Renames Private Matches to Custom Xbox LIVE Matches and makes them invite-only.
- Adds the ability to join Horde sessions that are in progress.
- In Social Horde you can join a session in progress through matchmaking and you are able to continue your session from the last wave you failed without starting over.
- In Ranked Horde, you can join a session in progress only through invites.
- If you join a session in progress at the end of the session you receive the score you achieved during the time you spent in the session.
- Fixes an issue that could cause youru profile to be overwritten, erasing XP level and achievement progress.
- An issue that could cause a campaign save slot to be overwritten if you previously chose to continue without saving and then signed in.
- Changes the Gnasher Shotgun pellet pattern to increase hit consistency.
- Changes the Guardian game type to select the leader based upon XP level (highest to lowest).
- Firing delays after roadie run and evades are reduced.
Rod Fergusson also mentioned in the thread that Epic will soon have a promotion that will "dramatically" reduce the price of the All Fronts Collection which includes all multiplayer maps. We don't know exactly when this patch will be released but we look forward to the improvements.