12.04.2009

The pop-up window that ruined my PC!


by Lee Koo (ADMIN) Moderator - 12/4/09 3:21 PM

Question:

The pop-up window that ruined my PC!


Last summer, a screen popped up on my computer saying that my computer had all sorts of harmful files on it and said that it would scan and remove them. I clicked on "OK" and the software started running and it ruined my computer, blocking my Trend Micro PCillin Internet Security antivirus and preventing any upgrades. I had to get my computer guru to completely wipe out my hard drive and reinstall my applications and what files she could save. She then installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program the make sure the bad application was wiped out.

She told me to not shut down if this ever happened again, but to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and then Trend Micro before shutting down.

On Friday the 13th, a similar thing happened. The bad application said its name was "SWP2009" and offered itself for purchase. I could not delete or minimize it, but was able to shift its screen to where I was able to get to my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware icon. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware responded and started running. I did a complete scan and Anti-Malware found six rogue files. It deleted them and rebooted my computer. Everything seemed OK, but I ran Trend Micro to be sure. Trend found 13 items, which it deleted. All this took some 4 hours.

Has anyone else encountered similar rogue software? What else can be done? I thought my anti-malware and antivirus applications would stop this, but they didn't. Apparently it was connected to some Web site I opened. I'm running Windows XP Home.

--Submitted by Royce B.

Here are some featured member answers to get you started, but
please read all the advice and suggestions that our
members have contributed to this question.

Antivirus 2009 and its successors... --Submitted by Acaykath
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?messageID=3179759#3179759

Beat those rogue anti-virus pop-ups, BEFORE they do any damage --Submitted by si
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?messageID=3179777#3179777

Some basic safety tips will help --Submitted by gordios777-websites
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?messageID=3181851#3181851

Has anyone else encountered similar rogue software? --Submitted by Watzman
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?messageID=3179771#3179771

Malware masquerade --Submitted by davismccarn
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?messageID=3179713#3179713

Don't believe pop-ups that you don't really know --Submitted by cdcjeff
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?messageID=3179700#3179700

Thanks to all who contributed!

If you have any additional advice for Royce, please click on the reply link and submit it. Please be as detailed as possible when submitting your answer. Thank you!






MovieMiguel.com







Wireless messaging lets you receive special text messages about Movie Miguel directly on your cell phone! We will let you know about The Movie Miguel Show, Dj Movie Miguel, TV appearances, events, special announcements, and other information that you just can't live without. You can unsubscribe at any time. To sign up, just enter your cellphone number and hit submit! Standard text message rates apply.

blog comments powered by Disqus