9.03.2008

Ghostbusters Becomes First Movie Released on USB Memory


Who's PNY gonna call? SONY!! LOL!!...Oh god, kill me. I tried to not make a "gonna call" reference, but the more I tried, the more inescapable it seemed.

Anyway, on Wednesday PNY Technologies announced with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment that it would be releasing a 2GB USB flash drive with the original Ghostbusters movie on it. This is apparently the first time a full-length movie has been released via a USB flash drive. For me, though, this begs the question, "Why Ghostbusters?"

The drive is releasing now, but the 25th anniversary of the theatrical Ghostbusters release in 1984 isn't until next year. Seems like an odd choice. I mean, I love the original Ghostbusters. It's one of my favorite comedies ever, but I really don't need to be able to watch it anywhere at any time. Maybe that's just me, though. Maybe there's an upcoming Ghostbusters popularity renaissance that I'm just not privy to.

The 2GB drive is able to hold 12 hours of video play, 33 hours of music, and 1,080 pictures. Of course this all depends on the size, quality, and type of files being used.

I don't know. I just can't stop thinking that they would have been much better served offering something more recent like Iron Man. PNY did not provide pricing for the drive or technical specs on the movie file.



MovieMiguel.com







Wireless messaging lets you receive special text messages about Movie Miguel directly on your cell phone! We will let you know about The Movie Miguel Show, Dj Movie Miguel, TV appearances, events, special announcements, and other information that you just can't live without. You can unsubscribe at any time. To sign up, just enter your cellphone number and hit submit! Standard text message rates apply.

blog comments powered by Disqus