11.22.2009

J.J. Abrams on Star Trek 2 & Mission: Impossible IV

Source:Heather Newgen
November 17, 2009


While it's widely assumed that J.J. Abrams will be directing the next "Star Trek" film, that's not necessarily the case.

Abrams is one of the busiest people in Hollywood, yet he always takes time to graciously talk to press. Tonight, we asked him about Star Trek and a few other projects he's involved in at the DVD/Blu-ray release party.

Q: What's the status on "Mission: Impossible IV"?

J.J. Abrams: We are working on the script and we have an incredibly cool story. It's literally being written right this second.

Q: What are you able to say about the new series on NBC, "Undercovers"?

Abrams: We're just casting now. It's a more wish-fulfilling show. That's not to say it's fantasy or anything, but it's got an energy that I think feels like something I would want to watch, but that doesn't guarantee that anyone else will. For me, it feels fun. Look at the spy genre I've worked in before. While familiar in some ways, it feels very, very different.

Q: What are the elements that would have to line up to make you direct the next "Star Trek" film?

Abrams: The truth is, the idea of anyone else directing the next "Star Trek" film breaks my heart. I had the most fun ever with these people. But, it's impossible to know until the script is done. That's the time to look at it and ask, "is this the right thing for the movie? Is it the right thing for me? My family?" and all that stuff. It's so hard to know a year out with no script in existence if I should direct the movie. I look forward to making that decision when the time comes.

We tried to get him to talk about the Micronauts film he's been rumored to be signing onto, but he politely declined to comment.

Q: It was recently reported that you were going to be involved with a project based on toys from the '70s called Micronauts. What can you tell me about that?

Abrams: It's still in the being discussed stage, but if it happens I'll be happy to discuss it. It's premature, but I'd love to talk about it later.

Q: What is it about the toys that you like?

Abrams: This is one of those things where I feel like I don't want to say anything. I will say that I think there is a pretty cool idea for something, but if it happens I will try to say something that is actually remotely... as opposed to what I just said.

Although he wouldn't give up any info on Micronauts, he did tell us a funny story about a mishap that happened during the Star Trek production.

"There were a couple of things we did by mistake. Like there was a role of duct tape on the counter and we had to either cop to it or remove it digitally. I think we spent $10 million removing duct tape."






MovieMiguel.com







Wireless messaging lets you receive special text messages about Movie Miguel directly on your cell phone! We will let you know about The Movie Miguel Show, Dj Movie Miguel, TV appearances, events, special announcements, and other information that you just can't live without. You can unsubscribe at any time. To sign up, just enter your cellphone number and hit submit! Standard text message rates apply.

blog comments powered by Disqus